Just me, a wife to a wonderful husband, child of Christ, working mom to one active little boy, rambling about everyday life...

Monday, August 13, 2007

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

This is a word that I feel that is forgotten.

I had the honor of witnessing a very respectful gesture today and was in awe. I am sure that you all have heard of the Patriot Guard Riders. Well today I got to witness what a respectful group this is. My office is next to a funeral home. A 21 year old soldier's service was today. Around 8:45 this morning, I saw about 15 or so motorcycles drive to the funeral home. Not 15 minutes later, I saw at the corner of our building a group of 7 people gathering to protest. I am not going to spend anytime naming these individuals, but they showed up for their 45 minutes of shame.

Anyway, I went outside and looked towards the funeral home and there outside the funeral home was about 40 men/women holding flags and standing "guard" out of respect for the soldier and his family. What a sight. It brought tears to my eyes and chills down my spine. These Patriot Riders take their mission seriously and they know what the word RESPECT means. I was amazed that at the end of the service, they led the procession and it was such an awesome sight. Although it does not bring this soldier back, I hope that his family knows how much we appreciate their sons/relatives service fighting for our country.

You don't have to agree with the war, but you can have respect for others, especially our soldiers and our veterans.

1 comment:

PDub said...

That would have been a great sight - I would have loved to have seen it. I am continually amazed that there are people who do not respect our soldiers.

Thanks for posting this - it gave me chills too. We all need to continue to honor our troops.